May 2021 Newsletter
NEWSLETTER by Bart Wolfe, PGA General Manager on May 1, 2021
Dear Wildewood Members,
SOCIAL & CAPITAL PROJECTS REPORT
Summer Kick-off Party-Saturday, May 29th
All WildeWood Club Members are invited to attend our Summer Kick-Off Party on Saturday, May 29th. There will be a full day of events from 10:00 am – 8:00 pm. A full day of fun will include:
- 5K Fun Run @ 10:00 am
- Live Music from 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm and again from 4:00 pm – 8:00
- Complimentary food trucks from 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm and complimentary dinner from Little Pigs BBQ from 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm.
- Sweetpea’s Ice Cream Truck
- Inflatable Obstacle Course and Inflatable Slide
- Ribbon Cutting and Grand Opening of our Splashpad
- Tennis & Golf contests and activities for the whole family
Please contact Bart Wolfe at Bart@thewildewoodclub.com for volunteer opportunities.
Playground and Splashpad
We are adding a swing set to our playground as well as adding fencing and landscaping to enclose the entire playground/pool area.
Driving Range Renovation
Our driving range project is nearing completion. We will open the grass tee this Tuesday, May 4th. We will practice from the grass tee from opening to noon and we will move back to the Synthetic tees after noon each day for the first two weeks.
Our permanent synthetic mat is now scheduled to ship on May 7th. We have ordered 6 additional temporary range mats in case we face another shipping delay with the permanent mat.
Trees have been removed along the right side of the range. The removal of the trees allows to use our bunker as a fairway practice bunker. There will be a designated area to hit practice balls from the range tee to the practice green with the bunker. This area will be marked early next week.
We have added 2 new target greens on the range.
A 23-foot net will be installed at the end of the driving range in May.
Tennis Center Renovation
The Locker Rooms and the upstairs area of the Tennis Center will be renovated over the next two months including the additional of a bar. More details will be sent out on this project very soon.
THE WILDEWOOD CLUB GOLF HOURS OF OPERATION FOR MAY 2021:
Golf Hours of Operation for Mondays for MAY 2021:
- Pro Shop: 10:30 am to 6:00 pm
- Tee Times: 11:00 am to 6:00 pm (Carts must be in by 7:45 pm)
- Range: 10:30 am to 8:00 pm
*THE WILDEWOOD GRILL WILL NOT BE OPEN ON MONDAYS DURING MAY.
Golf Hours of Operation for Tuesday to Sunday for MAY 2021:
- Pro Shop: 7:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Tee Times: 7:30 am to 6:00 pm (Carts must be in by 7:45 pm)
- Range: 7:00 am to 8:00 pm
These are the DAILY GROUP PLAY TIMES WILL BE CHANGING for the month of MAY. You can sign up online or by calling the golf shop. DAILY GROUP PLAY is a SHOTGUN START at the times listed below:
- Tuesdays: Seniors Play Day – 8:30 am/ Ladies Play Day – 8:30 am
- Wednesdays: Wednesday Morning Group – 8:30 am
- Thursdays: Seniors Play Day – 8:30 am/ Ladies Play Day – 8:30 am
- Fridays: Friday Morning Group – 8:30 am
- Saturdays: Catfight – 8:10 am/ Dogfight – 8:20 am
*IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO ALL GROUP PLAY GOLFERS! AS OF MAY 1, ALL GOLFERS PLAYING IN THE MORNING GROUPS MUST RIDE 2 PEOPLE PER CART. SINGLE CARTS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED. IT IS BECOMING OUR BUSY SEASON AND WE NEED TO HAVE AS MANY CARTS AVAILABLE AS POSSIBLE EACH DAY. THIS WILL ALSO HELP TO CURB THE EXCESSIVE WEAR AND TEAR THAT OUR CARTS HAVE EXPERIENCED OVER THE PAST 16 MONTHS.
Please call the golf shop or go online if you like to sign up for any GROUP PLAY times. Please remember to sign up for GROUP PLAY on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays AT LEAST 1 HOUR PRIOR to the start time so that scorecards can be made by the pro shop staff.
The pro shop has NEW TAYLORMADE, SRIXON, TITLEIST, PING, MIZUNO, AND CALLAWAY CLUBS for sale. Come in to update your gear!
MASTERS SUNDAY GREEN JACKET WINNERS:
1ST GROSS: Dan Williams (Collin Morikawa)
2ND GROSS: Tyler Forbes (Mark Leishman)
Steve McClam (Matt Jones)
1ST NET: Sam Baxter (Charl Schwartzel)
2ND NET: Pete Clough (Stewart Cink)
Trung Nguyen (Ryan Palmer)
Bruce Williams (Xander Schauffle)
FOUNDER’S DAY TOURNAMENT WINNERS:
1ST GROSS: Tom Salane / Francis Dubose
1ST NET: Wayne Earhardt / David Knight / John Sim
2ND NET: Ron Hopson / John Finan
3RD NET: Greg Johnston / Ted York
Trung Nguyen / Roger Wiseman
Don Davis / Ramesh Yajnik
ONE OF OUR FOUNDING MEMBERS FRANCIS DUBOSE HAD A HOLE IN ONE ON #6! Congratulations to all of the winners!
The Men’s and Women’s Member – Member will be held on Saturday/Sunday, May 15 and 16. Shotgun Start: 9:00 am (Saturday & Sunday). Please call the golf shop or email R.J. at email@example.com to sign up your team. The firm deadline to sign up is Sunday, May 9th at 5:00 pm.
IMPORTANT REMINDERS TO ALL GOLFERS:
Please call the golf shop to make a tee time if you are going to play in the afternoon after 4:00 pm. This helps the golf shop to maintain a steady pace of play and prevents the backup that occurs when several different players show up to play at the same time without having made a tee time.
Full golf members need to always have their WildeWood bag tag on their bag. Stop by the pro shop if you need to get one made. Only full golf members and their daily guests are allowed to use the practice facilities. Tennis/Social/HOA members may only use the practice facilities when they are paying to play one of their 6 rounds per year.
ON WEDNESDAY NIGHTS WE HOST A MEMBER-GUEST LEAGUE FOR 9 HOLES. THEY WILL SHOTGUN EACH WEEK AT 5:00 PM, ALTERNATING FRONT 9 AND BACK 9 EACH WEEK. THE SIDE THEY ARE NOT ON WILL BE OPEN FOR MEMBER PLAY. THE GOLF STAFF POLITELY ASKS ALL MEMBERS INTENDING TO PLAY AFTER 4:30 PM ON WEDNESDAYS TO PLEASE CALL TO MAKE A TEE TIME SO WE CAN MAINTAIN A NICE PACE OF PLAY FOR ANY WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON GOLFERS. WE APPRECIATE ALL OF OUR MEMBERS WHO ALREADY DO THIS!
REMINDERS TO ALL WILDEWOOD WALKERS/DOG WALKERS/BIKE RIDERS:
WALKERS, DOG WALKERS, AND BIKE RIDERS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THE WILDEWOOD GOLF COURSE FROM 8:00 AM TO 6:00 PM. THIS IS DONE FOR YOUR SAFETY AND FOR THE ENJOYMENT OF THE PLAYERS. THE WILDEWOOD GOLF COURSE IS A DANGEROUS PLACE TO WALK WHEN THERE ARE 100 TO 120 PLAYERS HITTING GOLF BALLS ALL OVER THE COURSE THROUGHOUT THE DAY.
Director of Golf Operations
- All Mixed-Doubles and Tri-Level USTA matches have been booked, please keep in mind the name of your team so that you know which courts are yours.
- USTA league fees will be charged at the end of May.
- Kid’s tennis camp are posted down below!
- Due to the increased play happening in the middle of the day, our mid-day watering of the clay courts have been put on the calendar well in advanced from 12-3pm. If you would like to play on a clay court during that time, please reach out to Bill Simpson and he will see if the water can be put on at a different time.
- NEW Ball Machine!!! We are offering Ball Machine Memberships as well as single sessions with our new ball machine. Please reach out to the Tennis Center at 803.699.2446 to reserve your spot or sign up for your annual ball machine membership! Cost: $125 Single, $200 Family, and $15/hour.
Ladies Clinics –
- 2.5 – Tuesday 9:00-10:30, Saturday 10:00-11:00
- 3.0 – Monday 9:00-10:30
- 3.0/3.5 – Saturday 9:00-10:00
- 3.5 – Friday 9:00-10:30
- 4.0 – Wednesday 9-10:30, Thursday 9:00-10:30
*These Clinics are open to all players; however, you must be rated at the same level of the clinic that you attend or play on a WildeWood team at the same level of the clinic that you attend.
Cardio Clinics –
- Tuesday 12:00-1:00
- Thursday 12:00-1:00
- Saturday 8:00-9:00
Kids Clinics –
Junior Clinic Sign-Up
- Yellow Ball Clinic (Ages 13-16): Monday, Wednesday 4:30-6, Friday 4-5:30
- Green Dot Clinic (Ages 11-12): Tuesday and Thursday 4:30-5:30
- Orange Ball Clinic (ages 8-10): Tuesday and Thursday 3:30-4:30
- Red Ball Clinic 1 (Ages 6-8): Monday and Wednesday 4:00-4:30
- Red Ball clinic 2 (Ages 3-6): Monday and Wednesday 3:30-4:00
Kids Tennis Camps –
- June 14-17 (Ages 5-18): 12pm-5pm / $250 / Snacks and Drinks provided
- June 21-22 (Ages 5-18): 12pm-5pm / $125 / Snacks and Drinks provided
- July 12-13 (Ages 5-18): 12pm-5pm / $125 / Snacks and Drinks provided
- July 26-29 (Ages 5-18): 12pm-5pm / $250 / Snacks and Drinks provided
- Aug 9-10 (Ages 5-18): 12pm-5pm / $125 / Snacks and Drinks provided
- Aug 16-19 (Ages 5-18): 12pm-5pm / $250 / Snacks and Drinks provided
- HS Girls Tennis Boot Camp – August 23-27 (JV or Varsity Team Member): 12pm-5pm / $300 / Snacks and Drinks provided
Mixed-Doubles League and Tri-Level League – This past week was our first week of Mixed-Doubles and Tri-Level league play. Please email Bill@thewildewoodclub.com if you are interested in playing in any of these leagues or have any questions about how to become a part of our USTA Leagues in the future.
April was an incredibly dry month for us on the golf course with us receiving just under an inch for the entire month. As we could imagine the lack of rain paired with the low humidity has our areas of limited irrigation coverage starting to show. We have treated these areas with a wetting agent to help manage moisture the best we can but are looking forward to a few good days of rain. Our new range tee is down and looks great and we are excited to start hitting off of it very soon while we wait on the mat company to install the synthetic turf. Thomas Livoti has completed the 3 greenside bunkers on 7 for us and we will pick back up with that project in late fall.
In May we will continue to verticut and topdress greens regularly to smooth out ball roll and continue to increase our course-wide mowing and setting up frequency. As well as sod the new addition of the chipping green and 5 tees. I’m happy with where most of the tees are with the exception of #5. The incredible amount of shade we have tucked in that corner prevents most grass from surviving. We will try a more shade tolerant Zoysia grass this time but even shade tolerant does not mean shade proof.
As always, we look forward to seeing everyone on the course and please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions or concerns.
Thank you for your continued support, patience and understanding while we are making improvements to our club.
PGA General Manager
(803) 788-8000 Option 3